Backdating housing benefit

We can only do this if you are liable to pay rent or council tax during this period and you are entitled to claim.

If this is the case, we will write to you to ask for further details if we do not have them.

We will need to see proof of your income, savings and rent payments for the period you want to backdate your benefit for and any proof to support your reasons (for example, medical certificates or hospital letters). You can also get help from an advice agency, such as a Citizens Advice Bureau.

Unfortunately, the Benefit Regulations do not say what are, and what are not, good reasons so we look at each case individually.

If you are under pension credit age, you need to make a written request for backdating.

'Good cause' is a reason that prevented you from claiming benefit earlier.

Before we can backdate benefit, we must be satisfied that anyone else of the same age and with the same health and experience as you would probably not have claimed.

You can download a backdating request form (PDF 53KB) to help you provide the information needed.

Telephone: 03 Email: [email protected] Please quote your benefit claim reference in all correspondence – your claim reference is either an 8 digit number starting with 900, or a 5 digit number.

Leave a Reply